County Extension Director/Family and Consumer Science
September 6, 2023 - Want to make a difference in your community? Apply to be a part of the Family Leadership Training Institute (FLTI) in Eagle County. The application deadline is Monday, October 16. Those interested in the FLTI program may apply online at http://bit.ly/FLTIApp.
FLTI focuses on developing leadership skills, civic literacy, and civic participation skills. The program discusses topics such as diversity, community problem-solving, leadership styles, communication and public speaking, project design and management, building networks, working with the media, how government works, and much more.
“I thought that to be called a leader you must be in politics or high up in an organization,” said 2022 graduate Dani Rodriquez. “Thanks to FLTI, I embrace the label because I am a family leader in this community, and my project will have an impact on families and young creative minds.”
Each year this opportunity is offered to a limited number of participants who are screened and selected based on their availability and readiness to become effective change agents in the community.
Selected participants will come together for over 120 hours of training that includes:
- A day-long retreat (required attendance) to develop group communication on Saturday, October 21, 2023
- Monday evening classes from October 23, 2023 - April 14, 2024 (excluding holidays) that focus on knowledge about the change process, skill building, and tools of civic engagement
- A visit to the Colorado State Capitol in April to meet with legislators and learn the inner workings of government
- Ongoing support for the development and implementation of a Community Capstone Project designed to address a local issue of their choice
- Local graduation ceremonies and FLTI certification with the current Colorado Governor’s signature upon successful completion of the 21-week course
Grant funding allows Colorado State University Extension and Early Childhood Partners to offer scholarships for the full $2,500 cost of the program to a limited number of applicants. In exchange, participants give the commitment of time reflected in class attendance and a personal community capstone project.
For more information about participating in the FLTI program, contact Glenda Wentworth at 970-471-1097 or at email@example.com